Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Portland Nightmare

Post contributed by Noah Schmidt

My job recently sent me to Portland, Oregon for a few months. Because it was a temporary move, I lived in an apartment complex that offered corporate housing. This means that everything is basically set up for you. It’s kind of like showing up at a hotel, except without the housekeeping. Although the décor was a little sparse and strange, the apartment wasn’t too bad. I’m grateful that I didn’t have to do any of the setup, like finding Portland wireless internet, home phone, garbage collection, etc…but I was pretty annoyed at the location of my apartment. My company thought it would be great to have me in close proximity to the office, which sounds like a good idea. I didn’t think much of it when they told me that I would be five minutes away from work since I would be spending most of my time at the office anyways. Unfortunately, our office in Portland is in a terrible neighborhood and I was terrified the whole time. The neighborhood was so bad that there weren’t even any decent restaurants or groceries stores around. At night it became deserted. I’m safely back home now and have warned my boss about the dangers of staying in that area of Portland.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jay,

    I can't believe I found your blog today by researching a site regarding link building on blogs. I live in Portland :-> How wild is that? What part of town were in?

    (Wouldn't it have been even better if I came across your blog before you left so I could have helped guide you to all of the incredible neighborhoods/restaurants, etc ;-> )

    Sorry your experience was so bad.

    annharrison@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete